Let’s talk about emergency powers:
- Have you heard about HB 3? It would repeal the Governor’s emergency powers to control guns.
- But it would also add many other powers that some of our members find concerning.
- Good news: we don’t have to support HB 3 to protect our gun rights. Instead, legislators can support HB 1500 & SB 18, which repeal the governor’s emergency powers to control guns without adding any additional issues.
- HB 3 is up for a hearing this Thursday at 8 AM. If you wish to give input, you can testify in person or submit a statement online. See info here.
Constitutional Carry filed—AGAIN! (plus more newly filed bills)
- Rep. Cole Hefner filed a very strong Constitutional Carry bill, HB 2900, last week – bringing the total to five Constitutional Carry bills filed this session!
- The following legislators have publicly put their name on a Constitutional Carry bill. Tell them thank you:
- Authors: Representatives Biedermann, Hefner, Schaefer, White; Senators Hall, Springer
- Joint Authors: Representative White; Senator Buckingham
- Co-authors: Representatives Cain, Cason, Lozano, Slaton, Stephenson, Tinderholt, Toth; Senator Kolkhorst
- If your legislators are not listed above, use our easy form TODAY to ask them to co-author Constitutional Carry. Click here.
See our one-pagers:
- GOA Priority Legislation: Here are our priority bills to stand strong for gun rights and end current infringement in Texas
- Constitutional Carry: end the license requirement so that if you can legally own a handgun, you can carry it, no license required.
- Repeal Emergency Powers: don’t make us rely on a governor’s goodwill to protect our ability to buy, carry, and use our guns during an emergency
GOA Texas Days of Action: WE NEED YOU
- GOA Texas activists are meeting at the Capitol every Thursday at 10:15 AM.
- Join us! Text Felisha your T-shirt size and let her know you’ll be there – 832-622-8781.
- We’ll put you with a team to take our one-pagers to the legislative offices! You may also be able to testify at a committee hearing.
- No COVID test is required to join us (although one may be required for certain activities inside the Capitol).
Next Step: Be ready for committee hearings
- Most committees are hearing bills this week.
- No gun bills are scheduled yet, but we expect them to be scheduled soon.
- We’ll have 5 days’ notice. We’ll give you an immediate text alert and a follow-up email.
- Hearings will most likely be at these days and times (although we don’t know yet which week):
- Senate State Affairs: Mondays at 9 AM (most gun bills in the Senate)
- House Criminal Jurisprudence: Mondays at 2 PM or later (gun bills that don’t fit the categories below)
- House State Affairs: Thursdays at 8 AM (2A Sanctuary, Emergency Powers, suppressor freedom)
- House Homeland Security & Public Safety: Thursdays at either 9 AM or in the afternoon: Constitutional Carry, LTC issues, “red flag” laws, background checks
Recent GOA News & Updates
Constitutional Carry | News & Alerts
June 17, 2021
June 17, 2021
Texas becomes the 21st Constitutional Carry state!
June 11, 2021
June 11, 2021