GOA TEXAS BULLET: 1-4-2021
Written by Felisha Bull Published
The Capitol Opening: What to Expect
- The State Preservation Board announced that the Capitol grounds are open to the public daily from 7 am-7 pm, and the Capitol building is open to the public Monday thru Friday 9 am-6 pm.
- Capitol visitors must enter through the north entrance and wear masks. The Board did not specify whether there are any exemptions for masks.
- The Board announced that they will enforce capacity limits. They did not specify what the limits will be, or how it will affect events such as committee hearings.
- Testing is recommended and available, but not required.
January 12: Legislative Session Day One
- The House and Senate will each convene at noon on Tuesday, January 12. You can watch online (House and Senate).
- In 2019, each meeting lasted around 2 hours. This time, each chamber has said opening ceremonies will be much shorter.
- Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick released strict regulations for the Senate and stated that most Senate offices will be closed throughout session except for appointments.
- The House previously released a memo with opening day guidelines.
- Rep. Matt Krause filed the “Made in Texas” bill, HB 915, to declare that firearms and ammunition manufactured in Texas from Texas parts, and sold in Texas, are not subject to Federal regulations.
- Rep. Matt Shaheen filed the “See Something, Say Something” bill, HB 459. One of his constituents discussed with Luke Macias the bill’s implications for gun owners.
The best way to advocate for your gun rights is to join us for Texas G.O.L.D.—Gun Owners Lobby Day! Sign up today to make your voice heard.
- Part 1: Zoom briefing from 12-3 pm on Saturday, January 16, including virtual breakout rooms where you will meet with those from your district to develop a specific strategy
- Part 2: We’ll guide your district group in scheduling a meeting with your legislators to present our GOA bill list
- Gov. Abbott has ordered a special election for Texas House District 68 to fill the vacancy left by Drew Springer upon his election to the Senate.
- The election is January 23, early voting starts January 11.
- Candidates must file an application with the Secretary of State by 5 pm today (Jan. 4).
Recent GOA News & Updates
May 20, 2022
May 20, 2022