GOA Texas Bullet: 11-30-2020
Written by Felisha Bull Published
Learn to be an effective activist
- Texas Director Rachel Malone will present FREE Zoom trainings on how to effectively advocate for your issues in the Texas Legislature.
- Trainings will be the first three Thursdays of December:
- Dec. 3: Bill Survival 101 – how does a bill become law, and what can you do at each step
- Dec. 10: How to use TLO – the Texas Legislature Online website, your lifeline
- Dec. 17: How to talk to legislators – making the most of phone calls, emails, and committee hearings
Will the Capitol be open?
- The Texas Capitol has been closed to the public since March 18 of this year.
- We believe the best, most effective way for the grassroots to advocate for our rights is to show up in person during the legislative process.
- But, in August, 54% of legislators said in an anonymous survey they favored closing the Capitol to everyone except those who “had business” in the building, implying that they don’t believe the public has business there.
- House and Senate leadership are keeping quiet about whether the Capitol will reopen for session.
- The House and Senate usually vote on their rules – which include provisions for public involvement – on the second day of session. See 2019 Senate Rules and House Rules.
- The Speaker and Lt. Gov. hold significant influence, but proposed rules are generally developed through committees. Rep. Charlie Geren chairs the House Administration Committee and Rep. Smithee usually authors the House Rules Resolution.
Call your own State Senator and State Representative (find them here). Also call the offices of Rep. Geren (512-463-0610), Rep. Smithee (512-463-0702), and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (512-463-0101). Tell them they need to open the Capitol to the public.
- Pre-filing for the upcoming Texas Legislative Session began on November 9. The session begins on January 12, 2021, and legislators can continue to file bills for 60 more days, until March 12, 2021.
- New filed gun bill: HB 635 by Rep. Krause would prevent the federal government from utilizing state resources to enforce federal gun grab laws. See more from Rep. Krause.
- See our report on gun bills filed in the first week of pre-filing.
- See our notes on the Speaker race.
- See a full list of pre-filed House Bills and Senate Bills.
- Search for filed bills by keyword or by author.
Recent GOA News & Updates
Activist Resources | Constitutional Carry
September 1, 2021
September 1, 2021