Constitutional Carry Hearing: March 25!
Constitutional Carry has been scheduled for a committee hearing next Thursday, March 25, at the Texas Capitol in Austin!
We need your help to tell the Legislature why it is critical for them to protect your gun rights by passing this priority legislation.
These Constitutional Carry bills will allow those who can legally possess a handgun to carry it without a permit:
- HB 1238 by Biedermann
- HB 1911 by White (pending a committee substitute)
- HB 1927 by Schaefer
- HB 2900 by Hefner
All of these bills are on the agenda for the Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee hearing next Thursday, along with many other bills — some we strongly support, some we oppose, and many non-gun related. (View the hearing notice here.)
Take Action Now!
1. Submit written comments online (CLICK HERE).
- Start with “I support this bill,” then write a few sentences (or a couple of paragraphs) explaining why Constitutional Carry is important to you.
- See our Constitutional Carry handout for bill numbers, explanations, and talking points.
- Note that the bills are slightly different. Tell the committee what you like about each bill.
- GOA supports permitless carry for lawful gun owners age 18+, and advocates for no distinctions between LTC and permitless carry.
- The online form for comments will be open from now until the hearing is over.
2. Call or email the committee members.
During business hours, call the committee members and ask them to vote YES for Constitutional Carry in the Homeland Security hearing—HB 1238, HB 1911, HB 1927, HB 2900.
- Chair: James White (R) — 512-463-0490 (thank him for authoring HB 1911 and tell him you look forward to a committee substitute that ensures his bill applies to all who can legally possess a firearm)
- Vice Chair: Rhetta Andrews Bowers (D) — 512-463-0464
- Rep. Vikki Goodwin (D) — 512-463-0652
- Rep. Sam Harless (R) — 512-463-0496
- Rep. Cole Hefner (R) — 512-463-0271 (thank him for authoring HB 2900)
- Rep. Eddie Morales (D) — 512-463-0566
- Rep. Jared Patterson (R) — 512-463-0694 (thank him for co-authoring Constitutional Carry bills)
- Rep. Matt Schaefer (R) —512-463-0584 (thank him for authoring HB 1927)
- Rep. Tony Tinderholt (R) — 512-463-0624 (thank him for co-authoring Constitutional Carry bills)
Or, email the committee members right now – click here to view email addresses (select the “House Committees” tab).
3. If possible, come to Austin to testify in person.
We expect it to be a long day. You’ll only have 2 minutes to speak. But many of you have been waiting for years to testify at a Constitutional Carry hearing. We encourage you to share with the committee why this is important to you and how it will help keep you and your family safer and protect your rights.
If you have not done so already, please go online and fill out our form to let us know you will be there and to let us know if you need us to connect you with carpools or lodging options.
We will then be in touch with you to give you all the details you’ll need to know — including where to park, when to get there, what to bring, and how to prepare testimony.
If you’d like more information, please join us on Monday, 3/22 @ 8 pm for a Zoom meeting to discuss the hearing.
Recent GOA News & Updates
September 1, 2021